Skip to main content

High speed puncture, new tyres

Cruising along the motorway this morning my 944 experienced a rapid let down!

The offside rear tyre punctured and flatted incredibly quickly whilst round a long left hand bend.

At first all I heard was a buzzing sound usually associated with a tyre making contact with the wheel arch. Futhermore it was only buzzing when making adjustment to the steering wheel - which made me think that one of my arch liners had come loose.

Thankfully I was able to make a hasty route to the hard shoulder through the traffic.

Upon inspection of the front wheels and arches I saw nothing amiss, but walking to the rear I saw the culprit: a completely flat, yet intact rear tyre!

I was amazed. Losing all tyre pressure at speed so rapidly had not seriously effected the car. I would have thought that the 944 would have snaked & squirmed about on that bend, but the converse was true. Thankfully this puncture didn't end in an armco!

Changing a wheel on the shoulder with back to the traffic is not a pleasant experience, I'm grateful for the two traffic officers who pulled up their large 4x4 behind me to "make some safety for you". Props to the real cops!

In a matter of minutes I'd fitted the skinny spare and headed off down the motor way wondering where I could get a repair before I headed back home later in the day.

Google once again provided the solution in a small tyre shop in Hamble. These are the types of small business owners who still make the effort for customers.

The rear Nankang tyre wall was too badly damaged for further use, so a new pair of tyres were needed. I decided that I'd buy a new set for the front. The challenge was proving to be what the correct size was to fit due to the fact that I'd recently fitted 16" staggered Turbo Teledials to my Lux.

Despite the fact that the front alloys are 7.5" and the rear 8"; the wheels had come shoed with 225/55s all round.

With the doubts we had about what to fit I called JM Garage to pick their brains. Jon suggested I fit 205/55 tyres up front. He also said when I change tyres in future I should fit 225/50s out back. What a relief that the guys at JMG are so helpful!

With that settled the owner jumped in his van and headed off to a tyre supplier to collect a pair of Kumho KU31 tyres for my 944 and an hour later had them balanced & fitted.

Immediately I could feel the steering was lighter with the slightly narrower tyres up front. What was even more noticable was the smoothness of the ride at motorway speeds.

When I'd bought these wheels I'd had them balanced at a local tyre shop but the fronts still vibrated at speed. Annoyingly so.

The chap in Hamble had removed more than 300g of weights from the one front wheel and a similar amount from the other. He had only needed 60g to correctly balance the wheel. That's a huge difference.

In a strange roundabout way the puncture has remedied a couple of problems and inadvertently enhanced the ride quality even more.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Engine out the top - Easy Peasy

After reading numerous posts, the Porsche workshop manual and Clarks Garage step-by-step engine removal guide - I felt confident enough to tackle the job. But I wanted to remove the engine from the top.  As I discovered, it was pretty straight forward even for a novice! Result. I wanted to avoid removing the cross member and disturb the front suspension to do something I was convinced could be done easier from the top. Posts such as this one convinced me to give it a go at least. And I'm glad I did. In summary I was able to remove the engine from the top without needing to remove the bonnet/hood; torque tube; transaxle; bellhousing; clutch; clutch slave cylinder; cross member; front suspension; and radiator. Contrary to many so called internet experts opinions and many confusing threads this was painless and without dread. All that was necessary to remove was the starter; power steering pump and alternator (I figured to make the bottom of the engine narrower); intak

New Steering shaft bearing Nightmare removal

In my quest to tighten up the handling on the 944, I bought a new Needle Bearing from Porsche in an attempt to eliminate the fore-aft play in the steering at the top universal joint. The part number for the replacement is 477.419.059 and costs £88.86 posted from an OPC. Nothing like the effort required to actually remove the old one... I began the process by reading section 48 of Porsche Workshop manual. It appeared a simple enough process but two things bothered me: firstly, it required a chisel to remove a shear bolt (which in my limited experience never "shear"; and secondly a drill to remove two screws from the ignition lock. I was bothered because a quick look under the dashboard made it quite obvious that whoever had written the manual hadn't performed this task - well not without a dashboard in place that's for sure. I was bothered before I'd even started. Furthermore, the manual doesn't detail the replacement of this bearing at all - just the rem

Bellhousing & Clutch fork removal

Removing the bellhousing from the Porsche 944 engine is not as complicated as it may seem - such as in this situation with my replacement engine. When I removed the original engine I detached it from the bellhousing in the car and removed the clutch pressure plate bolts through the starter motor hole - see my other post for details . In this case I decided to remove the clutch fork pivot shaft bolt. Begin by removing the four 17mm bellhousing bolts - you'll find that the bellhousing doesn't detach completely from the engine. It'll feel like its hooking on something. That something is the clutch fork pivot shaft inside the bellhousing. The bellhousing will be loose enough to rotate - turn it 180 degrees and peek through the access port which is now on top - this is what you'll see: If the engine is still in car you'll be looking at this from underneath. The pivot shaft needs to be extracted from the clutch fork. It's held in place by a small bolt on the