Skip to main content

Fitting the intake begins!

Ah yes sunny summer is over and TheHoff was beckoning from the garage on the weekend, so I ventured in... here's what I've been up to!

 I solved a couple of my "what the heck connects to this?" issues I was having with the engine harness. The big round connector...




 ...needed this resistor plugging in - got it off a bloke breaking yet another 944S (they're going to disappear soon at this rate)

With that plugged in I dared to look under the gearbox at the rear and saw a great big oily puddle...



...this had more than a little perplexed as TheHoff hasn't been on the road except when I rolled it down the drive and onto the back of a car transporter when I moved a few months ago... the fix was easy (I hope), it turns out (hahahaha) that I mustn't have tightened the gearbox drainplug properly when I did an oil change - but that was 2 years ago... :-/



 Anyway it's all tight now - only a spirited drive will tell if the gearbox has seen better days.

Then it was into the engine bay to mock up the intake and various hoses & vacuum pipes - why the heck is it such a tangle of tubes Mr. Porsche engineer?

 I used the outgoing S intake as a pattern to follow and connected all the hoses in the same order and "flow" on the new spangly S2 intake:




But before I got to deep into that I did a mild porting to match the gasket to the intake (no work was required on the block side - thankfully!)



 Then gave the inside a jolly good clean to remove all residue and trace of fillings:



On went the various hoses and idle thingy:


When I was finally happy with the test fitting I placed the new gasket in place and bolted down the intake with some nice new screws:



 Then it was time to run some hose from the AOS through the intake to the throttle body position - I had to be a little creative to get things to route correctly:



 [b]Next it's the turn of the throttle body![/b]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Engine out the top - Easy Peasy

After reading numerous posts, the Porsche workshop manual and Clarks Garage step-by-step engine removal guide - I felt confident enough to tackle the job. But I wanted to remove the engine from the top.  As I discovered, it was pretty straight forward even for a novice! Result. I wanted to avoid removing the cross member and disturb the front suspension to do something I was convinced could be done easier from the top. Posts such as this one convinced me to give it a go at least. And I'm glad I did. In summary I was able to remove the engine from the top without needing to remove the bonnet/hood; torque tube; transaxle; bellhousing; clutch; clutch slave cylinder; cross member; front suspension; and radiator. Contrary to many so called internet experts opinions and many confusing threads this was painless and without dread. All that was necessary to remove was the starter; power steering pump and alternator (I figured to make the bottom of the engine narrower); intak

New Steering shaft bearing Nightmare removal

In my quest to tighten up the handling on the 944, I bought a new Needle Bearing from Porsche in an attempt to eliminate the fore-aft play in the steering at the top universal joint. The part number for the replacement is 477.419.059 and costs £88.86 posted from an OPC. Nothing like the effort required to actually remove the old one... I began the process by reading section 48 of Porsche Workshop manual. It appeared a simple enough process but two things bothered me: firstly, it required a chisel to remove a shear bolt (which in my limited experience never "shear"; and secondly a drill to remove two screws from the ignition lock. I was bothered because a quick look under the dashboard made it quite obvious that whoever had written the manual hadn't performed this task - well not without a dashboard in place that's for sure. I was bothered before I'd even started. Furthermore, the manual doesn't detail the replacement of this bearing at all - just the rem

Bellhousing & Clutch fork removal

Removing the bellhousing from the Porsche 944 engine is not as complicated as it may seem - such as in this situation with my replacement engine. When I removed the original engine I detached it from the bellhousing in the car and removed the clutch pressure plate bolts through the starter motor hole - see my other post for details . In this case I decided to remove the clutch fork pivot shaft bolt. Begin by removing the four 17mm bellhousing bolts - you'll find that the bellhousing doesn't detach completely from the engine. It'll feel like its hooking on something. That something is the clutch fork pivot shaft inside the bellhousing. The bellhousing will be loose enough to rotate - turn it 180 degrees and peek through the access port which is now on top - this is what you'll see: If the engine is still in car you'll be looking at this from underneath. The pivot shaft needs to be extracted from the clutch fork. It's held in place by a small bolt on the