Skip to main content

First Drive

How do I put into words the exhilaration of driving your own Porsche for the first time?

Besides the obvious excitement, I was tentative - and attentive. Every creak, squeek and silence was noted. Trying to familiarize myself with the new environment was like walking into a new house - where was everything? What's the view like out of the windows? I was fairly nervous too - it was a long way home and I certainly didn't want to break down or get stopped by the Blue & Whites for over enthusiastic driving.

I wanted to soak it all in. Immerse myself in the thrill of my first joy ride in my 944. I wasn't disappointed. The feedback through the steering wheel, the precise turn in, and the subtle rumble of the exhaust at idle, not to mention the roar when the accelerator was pressed hard. This was more than I expected it to be. It was brilliant fun to drive and the grin factor was massive.

I gave myself a bit of a surprise on a sharp left hander. The road carved left as it dipped. I entered the corner a bit fast and felt the oversteering rear drifting to the outside of the banked bend. Not once did I feel out of control in that moment but it was a new sensation - one that I hope to enjoy many times in the future!

The weight of the steering wasn't trucklike but with the leaking power steering pump I could only imagine that it would be even better with it repaired. This was going to be my first job in the coming weeks.

Pushing all the buttons I could find, trying to find the secret to reset the tripometer, noting what worked and what didn't. There was so much to take in. The electric windows were working but after making them go up & down one to many times they revolted and refused to budge. Hopefully it is just the relay, as clearly the electrics are working fine. I mustn't forget that this car is 23 years old.

Perhaps that's why the temperature gauge was playing jack in the box - bouncing the needle then settling at maximum. It was worrying at first and I watched with trepidation, listening to the engine for any sign of over heating. I allayed my fears by stopping a couple of times just to check, but there was no reason to be concerned. Must be a dirty contact at the sensor or behind the instrument cluster. I'll need to research that potential fault.

One of my favourite moments came as I exited one of Englands many, many roundabouts; I couldn't help but put pedal to the metal and feel the power of that 2.5l Porsche motor as it thrust me into my sport drivers seat. I don't know how many of the original bhp still lives under the bonnet, but I will tell you this - I think my 944 enjoyed the chance to finally clear all the cobwebs out of it's system.

I think we're going to really enjoy our time together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Engine out the top - Easy Peasy

After reading numerous posts, the Porsche workshop manual and Clarks Garage step-by-step engine removal guide - I felt confident enough to tackle the job. But I wanted to remove the engine from the top.  As I discovered, it was pretty straight forward even for a novice! Result. I wanted to avoid removing the cross member and disturb the front suspension to do something I was convinced could be done easier from the top. Posts such as this one convinced me to give it a go at least. And I'm glad I did. In summary I was able to remove the engine from the top without needing to remove the bonnet/hood; torque tube; transaxle; bellhousing; clutch; clutch slave cylinder; cross member; front suspension; and radiator. Contrary to many so called internet experts opinions and many confusing threads this was painless and without dread. All that was necessary to remove was the starter; power steering pump and alternator (I figured to make the bottom of the engine narrower); intak

New Steering shaft bearing Nightmare removal

In my quest to tighten up the handling on the 944, I bought a new Needle Bearing from Porsche in an attempt to eliminate the fore-aft play in the steering at the top universal joint. The part number for the replacement is 477.419.059 and costs £88.86 posted from an OPC. Nothing like the effort required to actually remove the old one... I began the process by reading section 48 of Porsche Workshop manual. It appeared a simple enough process but two things bothered me: firstly, it required a chisel to remove a shear bolt (which in my limited experience never "shear"; and secondly a drill to remove two screws from the ignition lock. I was bothered because a quick look under the dashboard made it quite obvious that whoever had written the manual hadn't performed this task - well not without a dashboard in place that's for sure. I was bothered before I'd even started. Furthermore, the manual doesn't detail the replacement of this bearing at all - just the rem

Bellhousing & Clutch fork removal

Removing the bellhousing from the Porsche 944 engine is not as complicated as it may seem - such as in this situation with my replacement engine. When I removed the original engine I detached it from the bellhousing in the car and removed the clutch pressure plate bolts through the starter motor hole - see my other post for details . In this case I decided to remove the clutch fork pivot shaft bolt. Begin by removing the four 17mm bellhousing bolts - you'll find that the bellhousing doesn't detach completely from the engine. It'll feel like its hooking on something. That something is the clutch fork pivot shaft inside the bellhousing. The bellhousing will be loose enough to rotate - turn it 180 degrees and peek through the access port which is now on top - this is what you'll see: If the engine is still in car you'll be looking at this from underneath. The pivot shaft needs to be extracted from the clutch fork. It's held in place by a small bolt on the